Friday, December 27, 2013

Wantable Accessories December 2013 Box Review

Wantable is a subscription service that offers a choice of three boxes:  makeup, accessories, and intimates.  One nice thing about Wantable is that you can choose to buy just a single box to try it out if you don't want to commit to a subscription.  The cost of a single box is $40, and a monthly subscription is $36 each month.  Right now I own a good amount of jewelry that I've acquired over the years, but my style has changed over time, so I thought I should expand my collection a bit.  A jewelry subscription box seemed like the perfect way to do this.

When you sign up for Wantable, you decide which box (or boxes) you would like, and then you fill out a survey stating your preferences.  You can choose from "love," "like," or "dislike" for each question.  According to the site, you will never receive anything that you say you dislike and are more likely to receive things that you say you love.  Sounds great, right?  

I decided that I wasn't quite ready for a monthly subscription, but I just wanted to try out a box, so I ordered a single accessories box.  The December box came in the mail a few days ago, and I couldn't wait to open it.  Here's what I got:



Mailing box

The box comes with an information sheet that describes each piece of jewelry and gives their retail prices.  It also summarizes the loves, likes, and dislikes from your survey.

Information sheet on top

Open box (sorry for the glare)

The box was neatly packed, with plenty of padding inside and each piece in a separate bag.  

The first piece I got was the Michelle ring, which had a listed retail price of $22.  This was a simple mesh ring that they said had "a textured style perfect for any occasion."



I liked this ring, and I agreed with their description that it could be worn anytime.  However, when I tried to put it on, it didn't quite fit.


 Not quite

One of the survey questions was ring size (7 for me), and this ring was listed as size 7.  Maybe it runs a bit small?  Anyway, I was a little disappointed but decided I could always give the ring to someone as a gift.  

The next items were the Hettie hoop earrings, which were given a retail price of $22.  The description read, "add sparkle to your outfit with the Hettie hoop earrings, featuring stunning multifaceted rhinestones set in deep silver tone."



These were quite large hoops.  Now, I had listed on the survey that I "liked" hoops, and I was also okay with larger earring sizes.  But honestly I never would have predicted that I would get hoops that looked like this.  I wear earrings all the time, and I like wearing all different types and sizes, but large sparkly hoops are just not my style.  Not at all.  I even tried one on just to see if maybe it would grow on me, but no, not even a little bit.  I don't blame Wantable for this one--after all, my survey questions never said that I would dislike this particular earring.  But I guess I hadn't really thought about the combinations that my preferences could create, and this one really struck out for me.

So far, we were 0/2.  But there were still two pieces left!  The next one was the Hoshi ring, which "features an adorable heart detail with shimmering rhinestones."  This one was given a retail price of $12.


This one was also size 7, and it fit perfectly.  But I wasn't too excited about it.  It's cute, but again not really my style.  Also, the metal it was made out of, combined with the cutesy shape and rhinestones, made it look somewhat cheap.  It reminded me of something I probably would have worn as a teenager but wouldn't really have much use for now.  

After the first three pieces, I was a little nervous to look at the last one, but I still had some hope that this box could be salvaged.  The final piece was called the Rory necklace, retailing $36.  It featured "tortoise shell pieces mixed with emerald and onyx colored stones suspended from a chunky gold tone chain."



This one was actually pretty cool.  It's not something I would usually wear, but I was more than willing to try it out, and the longer I looked at it, the more I liked it.

However, unfortunately, I didn't think the necklace alone was enough to make me want this box.  Part of the point of the subscription boxes for me is to expand my jewelry collection while being introduced to new styles.  I don't think I'm that picky about my jewelry, and I am keeping an open mind, but this box as a whole just didn't do it for me.  The good thing is that Wantable has a great return policy where you can just send back the entire box with no questions asked.  Return shipping is free, so you just have to tell them you want to return the box, and they will email you a return label.  So this box, sadly, is going back.

As I mentioned before, I had purchased a single box.  After this one, you might think I would be done with Wantable.  But actually, I decided to get a subscription.  I have seen other reviews and pictures of Wantable accessories boxes, and I've seen a lot of pieces that I like.  So I'm going to hope that this box was just a fluke and that I'll love the next one.  But just to make sure, I did go to my account and adjust my preferences in the survey so that I won't get any more big hoop earrings!

I am looking forward to my next Wantable box.  I hope I get some great jewelry in January!

If you are interested in signing up for Wantable, click here.  And make sure you are careful when you state your preferences in the survey :-)




Disclosure:  This post contains referral links.

No comments:

Post a Comment